I’d like to mention the importance of detoxification for brain and mental health. If we are not mindful to detox regularly, all the toxins we are exposed to on a daily basis are going to get stuck in the body. When all that waste gets stuck in the body, it can impact not only how we feel physically, but also how we are show up for ourselves mentally. This is unique to your body and your needs. The need to detox can be impacted by the seasons shifting in the spring and fall and by what’s going on for you in your life.
Eating detoxing food, like this salad, is a simple and easy way to start incorporating some cleansing into your body and your life. Other things we can do include:
- Slowing down or pausing our intake of alcohol and processed foods (especially sugars and sodas)
- Drinking more hydrating and nourishing liquids like filtered water and herbal tea
- Taking more walks throughout the day.
Brain Boosting and Detoxing Salad
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 beet, grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (or sub lemon juice for less acidity)
- 1 tsp of honey
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Optional pinch of turmeric and ginger
Mix everything together and enjoy!
NOTE: Ayurveda (the sister science of Yoga) recommends that when eating raw foods, chew each bite 40-50 times to help break it down thoroughly for easier digestion.
Dandilion Davenport, HHC, RYT, is a registered yoga teacher, sound bath practitioner, reiki practitioner, and integrative nutrition health coach. Check back for more seasonally supportive recipes from Dandi.