Integrative Therapeutic Yoga:
Stretching the mind and body
Yoga is an integral part of any mind/body process. As therapy encourages us to move into the hard places for insight, yoga helps us soften into those spaces for growth and flexibility. OIC offers a unique yoga experience with Registered Yoga Teachers who are part of our integrative team, bringing integrative healthcare to their classes and individual sessions. Our yoga is both traditional and contemporary, influenced by the fundamental practices of yoga: Asanas (postures), Pranayama (breathwork), Meditation, and Relaxation. Our yoga classes are unique to the Omaha area, offering therapeutic yoga within a trauma-informed lens to ensure the inclusivity, safety, and accessibility to all people.
Classes are offered as drop-in classes or available in session packages.
ALL CLASSES WILL NOW BE OFFERED REMOTELY:
To support the health of our teachers and community, we have moved all classes to remote sessions via Zoom. (Get Zoom here.) You can register for classes as you normally would, and simply use the following link to access our virtual yoga room: https://zoom.us/j/6824114396
Some of the class times may have changed, so please check the schedule.
We are also offering free video mini-sessions you can access on our YouTube page.
Our teachers are also available for remote private or customized group sessions.
Please email our Yoga Coordinator and Wellness Facilitator Steph Watson with any questions!
SUPPORT OUR YOGA TEACHERS
The current COVID-19 crisis is impacting many of our yoga teachers, bodyworkers, and other providers. Every person at OIC is an integral part of our team, and we want to support our teachers and practitioners who are not able to practice and offer their services. You can help us support them by donating to our GoFundMe. All funds will go directly to our teachers and providers needing financial support. Thank you for supporting our integrative community!
Opportunities For Practice
- Yoga for Beginners: New to Yoga? This class is for you! Class will go over postures, breathing techniques, and meditation practices in a slow and detailed manner. This is a great way to practice AND learn more about yoga. This class is taught by Andi Davenport.
- Yoga for Anxiety & Depression: Anxiety and depression are conditions that cause people to get stuck “inside their heads” with negative self-talk, body shaming, ruminating on the past, or anxiously worrying about the future. Yoga, as a form of physical activity, will help to increase your awareness of sensations within your body, allowing you to connect to the present moment, ultimately creating a healing effect. The first class of its kind in the Omaha metro area, this class will take you through poses that help reconnect the mind and body and release any negative effects. Explanation and take home tips will always be provided so that this class can help you beyond the physical space.
- Yoga Nidra & Sound Bath: If you need to relax, this is the class for you! This class offers a nourishing yoga nidra practice with the healing waves of sound bath. Yoga nidra, which is often referred to as “yogic sleep,” gives participants the opportunity to deeply heal. Calming and soothing sound waves take the experience to another level. This class is taught by Andi Davenport.
- Deep Relaxation – Restorative Yoga: This slow-moving class is strategically designed to heal mind, body, and spirit. This class uses longer held poses with props to help support the body release any chronic stress built up, and tense or tight muscles. This 75-minute class will allow students to find gentle, easy, meditative movements to allow stillness, renewal, and ease.
- Slow Flow Yoga: This class is open to all levels of people, designed to meet the student where they are. This class will not only give you the foundation and continuum of yoga but will teach you how yoga and meditation can be used every day. This class brings it’s focus to 3 primary things; mind, body, & spirit. It will guide the student deeply into mental clarity through the balancing of emotions and body. It is open to all people ready to gently explore the personal power that lies within. This class is centered around what the students need, to find strength, expression, support, peace of mind, and overall peace of mind, through a flow of sequenced postures.
- Pre/Postnatal Yoga: Connect with your pregnancy in our prenatal yoga class. Gentle, nurturing and fun, this class teaches a series of yoga postures and breathing techniques designed to bring awareness and relaxation to your body. It’s not about burning calories, it’s about finding balance and maintaining harmony. Open to women in their second and third trimesters.
- Yoga for Fertility: This six-week session is designed to meet the needs of women who are trying to conceive. Class is designed around an all-encompassing nourishment wheel that focuses on health for the body, mind and spirit. This unique session teaches postures and breathing techniques that calm the body, nourishes the reproductive organs, and release anxiety and stress. Each class delves into the deeper yogic teachings of meditation, visualization, and the power of our thoughts and attitudes. As we relax and let go of physical and emotional toxins, we begin to have a clearer sense of self and insight into our fertility journey. Class sizes are kept small to facilitate a sharing and supportive community.
- Yoga for First Responders: This yoga class is specifically designed for all those working the frontlines amid COVID-19, including paramedics, police, firefighters, medical and mental health providers, and all essential workers. This beginner-friendly yoga class integrates breathwork, poses, and meditation woven throughout class.
- Trauma-Informed Yoga: This is a non-assist yoga class. The main objectives are to help people feel comfortable in their own bodies, learn how to self-regulate, and steer away from ruminative thought processes. One student made the comment that she felt “just a little bit calmer, a little more centered on my feet, a little more hopeful.” To create a safe and comfortable experience, students have the option of starting with a private Trauma-Informed Yoga session and then transitioning to group classes.
- Private Yoga Sessions: Combining healing postures with relaxation tools, breathwork, guided meditation and imagery, your Registered Yoga Therapist will design a personal healing practice to promote overall health and well-being. Individual sessions are appropriate for all levels, from beginners wanting to develop a foundation to experienced yoga practitioners looking to enhance their existing practice.
Winter Weather Policy
During the winter months, there may be times when it is necessary to close the studio due to weather conditions such as snow or extreme cold. Our studio closure follows the lead of the Millard Public School District (on the weekdays).
If Millard Public Schools closes (weekdays):
- All yoga classes before noon will be canceled
- Yoga classes in the evening will be posted by 2 p.m. that day
- If needed, yoga classes will be canceled on MindBodyOnline at least 1 hour prior to the class start time
Please check our schedule online before heading to class on inclement winter weather days/evenings.