|When you get the cold or flu, what are your first symptoms? Where do they typically show up in your body? What are your temperament and emotional and mental states?
When you know your regular initial symptoms for the common cold or flu, YOU have the power to take action and prevent the infection from setting in deeper and spreading throughout the body.
Here is a proven, highly effective natural health protocol for preventing colds and the flu on day 1 or 2 of your first symptoms:
1) Yin Qiao, Traditional Chinese Medicine formula. Preferred brand: Kan Traditionals. Recommended dose: 3 pills 3-4x daily. In the Omaha area, you can find Yin Qiao capsules at natural food stores in the health section. They’re also available online.
2) Power Pak, powdered electrolytes, nutrients, and naturally occurring ionic trace minerals. Preferred brand: Trace Minerals Research. Recommended dose: 1 packet dissolved in water per day. In the Omaha area, you can find Power Pak at natural food stores in the health section. They’re also available online.
3) Take an herbal bath with elderflower, yarrow flower, ginger root, and/or sage leaf. *I prefer people to consult with me for recommendations on herbs that best fit your unique constitution and symptoms. Recommended use: 1 bath per day, or every other day.
- Prepare 5 tbsp of herbs and 6-8 cups of water.
- Add water and herbs in small saucepan on a stove top.
- Bring water and herbs to boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Brew for 15-30 minutes – if herbs consist of leaves and flowers, infuse for 15-20 minutes; if herbs consist of hard roots, berries, barks, or seeds, decoct for 25-30 minutes.
- Pour tea in saucepan over fine strainer into bathwater.
- Soak as long as desired – at least 20 minutes for body bath, or at least 15 minutes for foot bath.
4) Increase liquid intake of water (room temperature or warm), herbal tea, and broths like low sodium vegetable broth or bone broth.
5) Drink herbal tea – the most effective and tasty loose leaf herbal teas for colds and the flu are elderflower, sage leaf, ginger root, isatis root, hyssop, and honeysuckle. *I prefer people to consult with me for recommendations on herbs that best fit your unique constitution and symptoms. If you want to sweeten your herbal tea naturally, add 1 tsp of honey to soothe a dry throat, limit coughing, and add antibacterial support. My choice of tea bags for colds is Throat Coat by Traditional Medicinals, available at most grocery stores. Recommended dose: 1 cup 2-3x daily.
6) Do an essential oil steam with eucalyptus and peppermint essential oils. Recommended use: 1-2x per day. These two essential oils are low cost and available at most grocery stores and natural stores.
- Add about 10 drops of eucalyptus and peppermint essential oils to a bowl of steaming water.
- Close eyes and cover head with towel and inhale for up to 5 minutes.
- Repeat 3-5 times or until the scents have completely evaporated from the water.
7) Discontinue certain foods and beverages that would prevent healing progress, such as dairy, orange juice, caffeine, artificial sugars, and alcohol.
8) Limit screen time.
9) Limit physical exertion.
Continue all steps until you’re symptom-free for 3 days. Please note, this protocol varies slightly for kids (particularly #1 and #5).
The key is to know your body and find what works best for you. If you don’t have a natural health protocol for the initial stage of the cold or flu, I invite you to try these generic recommendations.
If you have questions or would like to schedule an herbal consult please contact Omaha Integrative Care by calling or texting 402-934-1617.